Friday, January 1, 2010

strongback, scarfing jig



Friday, 1 January 2010: Finished drilling out strongback holes and bolted everything together. Screwed the top plates on with 1-1/2 inch deck screws and marked out a centerline. Then I pulled the table saw out of the corner and spent some time trying to envision a jig that would allow me to cut the 8-to-1 scarf joints for the gunwales, keelson and chines. There are no rails in my portable table saw. But there is a sliding platform with various holes used to accept a miter jig. Finally decided I know what I need to do, but it will require some machine screws and perhaps a scrap of good plywood for a base, as well as one more stand to support the stock while I feed it through the saw. Off to Home Despot tomorrow morning after taiji class.

No comments:

Post a Comment